CT 3 IFoA April 2005 Q12

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Sunil Sanga, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sunil Sanga

Sunil Sanga Member

In this question part (iii) a
    What is the reason to use degree of freedom 5-1-1=3 instead of using 5-1=4 since parameter value is given we didn't estimate.

However I found similar question in Ch 12 page 63. Also a note given why DF 4-1=3 is used here since the parameter value is given already in question

Please clarify

2. Sunil Sanga

Sunil Sanga Member

Anyone please help me on this

Bharti Singla likes this.
  3. suraj

suraj Member

(iii) The following table gives the numbers of occupants in 2,423 cars observed on a road junction during a certain time period on a weekday morning.
    Number of occupants 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Frequency of cars 1,486 694 195 37 10 1

The above data were modelled by a zero-truncated Poisson distribution as given in (i).
    The maximum likelihood estimate of θ is 0.8925 and the Cramer-Rao lower bound on variance is 5.711574 * 10^ -4 (you do not need to verify these results.)

4. Sunil Sanga

Sunil Sanga Member

So the estimate wording is identification as in Ch 12 question only a parameter value is given.
    So whenever this estimate wording present...we can subtract 1 degree of freedom by assumption that parameter is estimated...

Correct?

5. suraj

suraj Member

Only if the parameter is estimated from the same data, which is the case in this question.