CS2 results

Discussion in 'CS2' started by jack99, Dec 15, 2020.

1. jack99

jack99 Member

Hi Guys,

Could you please provide your score
    I got 54 and not passed

2. forsooth

forsooth Made first post

I got 57 and it was a pass

3. I passed with 72.

4. PG Moehrke

PG Moehrke Member

I passed but how did you find your score? I wrote it through ASSA (Actuarial Society of South Africa - as A212) and all I have on my transcript is "Pass". Thanks.

5. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Member

6. Khoa

Khoa Member

55 failed

7. Hanna Hohner

Hanna Hohner Keen member

Passed with 79. PG Moehrke, on the IFoA's website it is in My exams << Exam results letters, but I don't know what's the situation in your case.

Congrats for all who passed and wish you good luck for the next try if you have not!

nanaba, PG Moehrke and Leigh Costanza like this.
  8. nanaba

nanaba Keen member

Congrats to everyone.

Hanna, if I may ask, what was in your opinion key for nailing the exam like you did. I want to take the exam in April and happy to hear from first hand.

9. Hanna Hohner

Hanna Hohner Keen member

The devil lies in the details - this is specifically true for this subject! I suggest you to go through all the proofs, all the equations and all the worked examples in the core reading and try to write them down by yourself, it helps a lot in understanding the material. This subject is loaded with a lot of differential calculus, so trying to interpret infinitesimally small amounts in the equations is a must here. As preparation material for paper A I used the Online Classroom. The questions handouts in that are priceless, as there are almost no past paper examples for several new topics. For paper B I used the PBOR material and I can confirm that it covers everything you need to know in R in order to pass the exam. Also I went through former CT4 and CT6 questions, but you need to carefully compare the 'Detailed syllabus objectives' documents with CS2 in order to find out what are the overlapping topics. The only topic that is I think poorly covered by the above study materials is the Machine Learning part, it is almost impossible to grasp the concepts from the Core Reading or the Online Classrom. So what I did is to download the Machine Learning with R book from Brett Lantz and work through the examples, it is very much in line with what the syllabus covers.

I hope it helps, good luck!

nanaba likes this.
  10. Imy

Imy Member

not the person who asked but this is super helpful! Thanks! Downloaded that R book, any particular chapters you focused on more than others?

11. yatsa

yatsa Keen member

Thanks, This helps a lot.

12. philoxenos

philoxenos Member

I managed to pass CS2 as well.

Just my 2 cents on tips to help you with the exam. I took a slightly different strategy to Hanna. I basically ignored the core reading and set about doing loads of past paper questions and did the online classroom material etc. With the exams moving to an online format many of the questions are applied knowledge of which I feel the best practice is to do past paper questions which expose you to almost every possible way to do applied questions of the content. For paper B I spent most of my revision time learning R functionality rather than applying it to the content (so the reverse in some respects). Knowing your way around R quickly helps a lot with the time pressure and gives you much more time to think about the content which you should be pretty comfortable with from paper A.

In essence everyone learns differently but I find past papers the best resource available. The ASET material pack is invaluable and walks you through the past papers from 2013 to 2017 and 2019 so would use this as an extra aide in revision too.

nanaba likes this.
  13. Hanna Hohner

Hanna Hohner Keen member

I think that I only went through chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9, and only quickly take a look in chapters 10 and 11. This more or less covers all the ML topics in the core reading.

Imy likes this.
  14. nanaba

nanaba Keen member

Hanna Hohner likes this.