Cross-marking September 2022 Paper 1 Q9 i)

Discussion in 'CP1' started by roopal beriya, Apr 19, 2023.

1. roopal beriya

roopal beriya Made first post

Hi,

A question regarding a comment I have seen in the examiners report for the September 2022 Paper 1 Q9 i). Appreciate it is a comment made by IFoA and not ActEd, thought I would ask anyway.

"As per most questions credit is given where points were made in ii) where the points were relevant to i)."

I was under the impression that cross-marking doesn't occur unless markers are explicitly said so. The above comment implies that cross marking is available almost always?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Roopal

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Good question Roopal. References to general cross-marking have been copied forward in the ER for quite a long time and may not accurately reflect current practice across all questions. We would advise going with your existing impression - that's the safest interpretation.

Cross-marking only really makes sense where the two question parts have some element of overlap. It wouldn't be appropriate, for example, to give credit for a point made in part (ii) that was instead relevant to part (i), if that point was totally wrong for what had been asked for in part (ii).

Bill SD likes this.