Critical Illness Insurance - Maturity benefit

Discussion in 'SP1' started by Trevor, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Trevor

Trevor Ton up Member

Hi, just want to ask a quick question:

Does CI insurance, Standalone or Accelerated CI pay out on maturity?
    I attempted the 2014 September, Q6ii past paper. Which the solution sheet quotes:
    "There will be a small delay in payment of benefit on accelerated CI policies (payment now made on survival rather than earlier death)"

I interpret this that because people survive following a stroke, they claim the first time for diagnosis, and then the remaining SA is claimed as maturity benefit rather than death.

Is there a maturity benefit? I thought CI covers for lifetime.

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Based on my recollection, there is generally no maturity benefit for CI policies. For an accelerated CI, you get payment on death or diagnosis of CI, whichever occurs first. So if you have a stroke and claim for it, that would terminate the policy.

3. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Trevor

CI usually has a fixed term similar to a term assurance. However, it could be added as a rider to an endowment assurance, in which case there would be a maturity benefit if the policyholder hadn't claimed already. Similarly it would be possible to add it to a whole life assurance.

Best wishes

Mark

Varsha Agarwal likes this.
  4. One doubt I had in this product. Talking about Standalone product.
    So CI insurance is paid to Policyholder once they survive some period after being critically ill.
    So company wants to ensure they don't die after Critical disease listed in their policy document.

But at the same time when it comes to meeting the customer needs,Can Lumpsum help cover the cost of treatment of CI which is needed to survive the required period..Or it is for after survival life only.

Because even first diagnosis or treatment could itself b severe and policy holder might need cover to make him survive.
    In this case,PMI can only take care on this cost.

Please add to my understanding.

5. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Varsha

The idea of stand alone CI is to cover ongoing medical costs of the illness. If someone dies withing the survival period then they won't have these costs. I agree that this doesn't cover all the policyholder's needs, but CI is a very simple product.

Best wishes

Mark