Creeping change- chap 16

Discussion in 'SP5' started by The Funky Gibbon, Mar 16, 2007.

1. I'm not quite sure what they mean by creeping change in portfolio composition in this chapter. The fund apppears to be monitored every 6 months so I would expect it to be rebalanced, in the light of this monitoring process, every 6 months. Please can you clarify why deviating from the benchmark by a little bit during each 6 month period creates problems?

2. King

King Member

Suppose there are a few stocks in the portfolio that alter their risk profile by changing the type of business they undertake over the 6 months. ‘Risk’ will be measured by standard deviation of historical returns, over a longer period than 6 months. It will take a while before the change feeds through to measured standard deviation, so there will be a period when the stocks risk level is understated. That’s what I’ve assumed it to mean anyway.

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

I think it is slightly different. Every 6 months you change the portfolio composition slightly and historical volatility is measured over a period > 6 months. Thus historical volatility will not be an accurate measure of current risk.