CP3 Examination

Discussion in 'CP3' started by Partha Chaudhuri, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hello All,
    I have few questions regarding subject CP3. In a specific paper how to distinguish which word is considered to be jargon and which is not.
    E.g. writing trustees of a pension fund. In that case would bond ( investment instrumens) be considered as jargon?
    Is there any rule of thumb that can be followed.

Also how to study additional material delivered before CP3 examination effectively? Please provide some tips.

Regards,
    Partha

2. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi Partha,

The language of our communications may need to be tailored to the particular preferences and needs of alternative audiences.
    We should not use language that may be unintelligible to the recipient(s) or make it hard for them to understand our communication.
    It is good practice to take time and care to identify what might be potential jargon and unnecessarily complex language for our particular audience before starting to draft any specific communication. So, to answer your question, you should read well the question, identify the who and from then be able to deduce possible jargon(s) and how you can avoid these.

What do you mean by additional material? I have used X Series Marking and Mock Exam which are very helpful.

Partha Chaudhuri likes this.
  3. Thanks for your reply.
    Regarding second question - I apologize for the confusion. I meant advanced material that we receive before CP3 examination. Any guidance / suggestion how to use it effectively to build up strongly for the CP 3 examination.

4. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hi Partha

Great advice from Dar_Shan re jargon.

Re the advance material, the aim of it is to provide you with enough information so you understand the basic scenario and to enable you to brush up on technical terms that you feel a bit rusty on before the exam day. So if the advance material introduces a technical term / concept you don't remember very well then use the time to ensure you understand it / can explain in in a simple way. It is possible you might also be given an Excel spreadsheet of data so you can spend some time understanding the data and any trends in it. You should not need to do work beyond this.

Helen

5. Thanks both of you !!

6. Hello Members,
    I have a question regarding word count in CP3 answer script.
    If word limit is between 750 to 850, how does the counting being done?
    Should words in the salutation, legends in the charts / table, or paragraph headings be counted?
    Thanks a lot for the help.
    Regards,
    Partha

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
  7. Dar_Shan0209

Hi Partha,
    You may wish to note that as from the September 2018, the IFoA has removed the component of work limit to mark the students. So, no mark will be awarded for word count in the examinations.

8. Hi Darshan,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Would it be possible to provide the link of the document. ( In all the question paper including April 2019, there was a limit on word count).
    Regards,
    Partha

9. Dar_Shan0209

Hi Partha,
    Please have a look at the Examiners' Report for 2018 and 2019 Solutions, you will find out that compared to the previous diets, the 5 marks awarded for word count has been removed.
    Cheers.

10. Makes sense!!- Thanks & Regards, Partha

11. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

Explicit marks have gone but I believe there are implicit marks that will be lost if you are out of the word count.

12. Hello Team,

I have one more question regarding the CP3 examination. Earlier in CP 3 ( Old CA3 or 201) there used to be 2 questions. One question has to be power point presentation. Since 2015 I did not see any question where Power point presentation was asked to prepare. So I would like to know the possibility of getting power point presentation in the question.

Regards,

Partha

13. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Partha
    The powerpoint presentation element of the exam has been discontinued.
    Ian

14. Thanks a lot to all of you for comments.

15. Hi Team,

Any suggestion regarding preparing for CP3, should we go through question papers before 2017 September ( before advanced material was distributed before the main exams).
    Regards,

Partha

16. Hello Team,

I would like to know the number of visual aids we can add in the answer paper for subject CP3. I received comment from marker in Mock exam 1 mentioning that maximum 2 graphs / chart can be added. However in suggestive solution X2 in study material shows more than 2 graphs.

Please provide guidance.

Regards,
    Partha

17. Ian Senator

There is no strict rule, it varies with the question. There have been questions where perhaps up to 3 visual aids would be useful and get credit, and there have been others where none are required. The marking schedule will vary slightly as a result. Make sure you read any guidance given in the question (if any) about what you should do, and in the absence of any guidance, make a judgment call on what you think would work well, given the audience/message/etc.

18. Hello Ian,

Thanks for your answer. So if the examiner thinks 2 visual aid is required and I have given 3 then I will not get any credit for the third one?

Regards,

Partha

19. Ian Senator

It's not that set in stone. The examiners will be looking for the overall effectiveness of the visual aids and the message you are trying to convey. This could, for example, result in 1, 2 or 3 visual aids, depending on what each one is like. There will be many appropriate ways of using visual aids to get the message across effectively.

20. Thanks for your answer.