1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CP2 Advice

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Justine Lowe, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Justine Lowe

Justine Lowe Member

Hi,

I am sitting CP2 for the first time in October. I was wondering if there was any advice as to when to start studying for it and what is best to start with?

Thanks.

2. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hello Justine,

You should have completed the CS, CM and CB series of examinations firstly in order to sit for CP2, there are no requirements as such imposed by IFoA but the models and concepts for this exam do assume you have knowledge on those. Since this is a practical examination rather than written exam at a centre - you can have a glance at the CMP which will help you knowing what you need to grasp for the examination, i.e. how to produce a summary report and audit trail, relevant graphs and checks. Eventually, past papers is your friend. You need to practice loads. In terms of materials, I used only past exam papers and CMP. I have attempted the Mock Examination and had it marked by an Acted tutor who gave me a well detailed feedback. Also, if you are lazy with reading notes, the Online Classroom helps a lot - with pre recorded presentations and a forum which is checked by tutors regularly assisting students' queries.

I hope this helps, should you have any more questions, feel free to inbox me.

3. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

Bumping into this thread (I need some advice too!):

Is it needed to have some prior CP1 knowledge to undertake this paper? Because I am planning to study CP2 and sit for this paper in April 2020. Planning to study Masters in Actuarial Management in the UK next year. If so, to what extent I need to know about CP1?

*I have completed the CM, CS and CB series (except CB3).

Thanks for viewing and replying! :)

4. Dar_Shan0209

Hello wzlee,
    I sat for CP2 in April session without prior knowledge in CP1. As I mentioned, the key is to practice loads of past examination papers in order to know some excel hinters, how to produce high quality Audit Trail and Summary Report. You can even attempt a mock exam and have it marked by AcTed, you will get very high quality of feedback (Including your current performance + key areas where you need improvement). Hope that helps.

wzlee12 likes this.
  5. Justine Lowe

Justine Lowe Member

Thanks for your advice Shan! When would you recommend starting practice? a lot of people have said wait until after the tutorial?

Thanks,

Justine

6. Dar_Shan0209

Hello Justine,
    You're welcome. Personally, I have not attended any tutorial so I don't have any comments on this. I have started practising for past papers as from February. As I said, practice is the key. Just practice past papers and instead of tutorial, you can attempt a Mock and have it marked for you to know where you stand.
    All best,

wzlee12 likes this.