CP1 preparation tips

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Anu Joshi, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Anu Joshi

Anu Joshi Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I hope all student's exams went well.
    I'm going to sit for CP1 this April diet.
    I bought the study materials for the CP1 and clearly there are lots of chapters to study.

I don't understand how to start studying. Earlier we had to actually remember lots of acronyms, since we have the online open book exam for the next session, we can keep a list near us.

So how drastically the exam question pattern would have changed? What strategy should I use for this paper?

Thanks in advance.

Yohav and Cylene Belgrave like this.
  2. Cylene Belgrave

Cylene Belgrave Made first post

Great question, I would also like to know.

Looking forward to seeing the feedback.

Yohav and Michal Piatra like this.
  3. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - obviously any changes to the exam style are down to the IFoA, so would recommend continuing to monitor their announcements and communications.

We could well see a greater emphasis on using and applying knowledge within questions rather than being required to recall information - but application has always been a significant part of the examinations anyway, so that remains vital to practise.

Whilst memorising acronyms and lists is no longer as necessary, we would encourage you to still aim to have thorough knowledge (and, of course, understanding) across the course. This will help you to identify efficiently which parts are relevant to each question, and there simply is nowhere near enough time available in the exam to keep looking things up.

So, to a large extent, preparation should be very similar to how it has previously been. The key difference is that you don't need to learn lists - you just need to be able to spot quickly which lists might be useful when, and to have prepared for yourself easy-use reference materials (including those lists) where you can efficiently find what you might need.

That is what I would be doing, anyway!