Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I'm not seeing this either

2. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

care to enlighten us as to which ones are going ahead?

3. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

all going ahead apart from CM1/CM2/CS1/CS2.
    Full details 31st March

4. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Everything on apart from CM1/2 and CS1/2

5. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

These exams going ahead

CB1,
    CB2,
    CB3,
    CP1,
    CP2,
    CP3,
    SP1,
    SP2,
    SP4,
    SP5,
    SP6,
    SP7,
    SP8,
    SP9,
    SA1,
    SA2,
    SA3,
    SA4,
    SA7

6. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Member

7. DM261

DM261 Active Member

This makes all the sense in the world to me, glad they came to this conclusion.

shdh likes this.
  8. cm16

cm16 Keen member

As CS 1/2 and CM 1/2 already have online components, it does not make sense to me

9. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I wonder will you feel that why if Joe down the road passes with all books open beside him, while you fail?

shdh likes this.
  10. Montyburns

Montyburns Member

IFoA is not able to handle the exams online. The site crashes on results day. A simple http request by what 30,000 visitors?

The current online exams have a max capacity which makes no sense. The idea that they will switch written exams to online during a crises is a joke. In the UK the crises is expected to peak in mid April. That means x deaths a day. Who can focus in that climate I've no idea.

This is not the first time I've been disappointed by the IFoA. An external body needs to check what is going on with the exam department in due time.

Postpone all exams, cancel some and offer refunds.

AlexLky likes this.
  11. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

Personally think that this is worse than a wholesale cancellation. A bit of a joke actually that depending on what you've chose to sit depends on whether you can progress.
    Ridiculous

12. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I think it's because those are the only exams that are mathematically heavy, so you kind of need to write them on paper rather than type them up. Things like CP1 are easy enough to just type up, in fact I did my revision for it using a laptop and only handwrote the actual exam.

shdh likes this.
  13. Mohp

Mohp Member

Absolute joke of a decision!

14. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Wait and see what the instructions are. It could be that they are all explicitly open book, as some universities have done. If not, they'll have webcam software to monitor it.

15. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

My PC doesnt have a webcam, where does that leave me ? Does the revisied timetable mean exams are going to be pushed back? Could they be brought forward? This is an absolute mess!

16. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

your basically saying then that SP4 and SP5 wont' have a maths based question - that the likes of excel will be needed

shdh likes this.
  17. Imy

Imy Member

I was supposed to take just CM1 (bc CT1 and CT5 in old syllabus I thought just the 1 would be a good amount) ugh wish I'd signed up for 2 now. Ah well, as I said before, there are bigger problems in the world right now.

18. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

They can't enforece the webcam - had a tutorial last week and because of bandwith they lad said he wasn't turning camera on.

IF you think about it - you dont' record yourself doing CP2 and CP3 - they just assume its you sitting the exam

19. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Sorry I'm not familiar with these subjects - just always thought SP subjects were always wordy

20. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

This is an absolute joke

Salma and cm16 like this.
  21. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

There have been some big calc questions that could make up 25% of the paper - like that's huge knowing if you need excel for the exam or not - can eliminate a couple of big chapters from study if you know in advance.

One other issue i have is the talk of a revised timetable - like can't be bringing exams forward can they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.