Contract Vs Permanent

Discussion in 'Careers' started by AKT, May 26, 2007.

1. AKT

AKT Member

Can someone tell me the pros and cons,of chosing a Contract job with an Agency and whether having a permanent position within a Company is better for a start.(assuming a couple of exemptions but no Actuarial work experience). How much (per day) average will be "right" for a beginner contractor in the South.

2. I'd say the main pro is that you get paid more - but obviously this is because you're not getting any of the other benefits of being a permanent employee (pensions, insurance etc).

Cons are maybe lack of security, potential for being given all the c**p work...

I don't really know but I'd be surprised if you could get contracting work without some experience?

I think there is a talk on contracting work happening at the institute this coming thursday - might be worth going along if you're interested...

3. AKT

AKT Member

Safe,

I'll be there on Thursday.Thanks 1-2-3-4.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Depends on what you mean by contracting.

If you mean say a 12 month contract with a co, then the pay isn't as good as the contracting all over the place. But being directly employed by the co should get you some exam support though maybe not everything a permanent staff member gets.

You will need some experience to do agency contracting and need the personality that can get along with potentially living out of a suitcase and not developing strong ties with colleagues at the end employer. You need to be quick on the uptake as they like you to hit the ground running at any new placement.

Can be a good way to find out which employers you like the look of! And equally they can see you so that if you do change mode of employment, it can be a foot in the door.

Down-time in contracting work can be good to stick your head into study.

But, as ever, the choice is yours.....

5. actually think i might be wrong - not for another couple of weeks. Sorry! Hope you get this in time

6. citizensmith

citizensmith Member

Hi, do you have any more details on the talk at the institute. When is it exactly and at what time? Do you have a weblink? Thanks.

7. Sorry don't have a weblink.

It's on Thursday 14th June from 5pm at Saple Inn Hall. It's being run by Hazell Carr. The email I've got gives kirstie.gotsell*hazellcarr.com as a contact.

8. The * in my reply should be an AT.