Confusion regarding notation

Discussion in 'CT8' started by Adienl, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Adienl

Adienl Member

I'm getting very confused with the inconsistent notation being used throughout the solutions of past year exam question solutions. In particular, I want to know when we condition the share price\([S_t]\) distribution at time \(t>u\) on \(S_u\), and when we don't.
    I'm not sure if I've explicitly expressed my doubt here. However, any input from you would be delightful.
    Thanka you for reading.

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It depends on what you want to do with it. Have you got any examples?

Adienl likes this.
  3. Adienl

Adienl Member

Yes. Currently I am looking at Question 3 part (i), September 2011. The question asks for distribution of \(S_t\), however, isn't it supposed to be \(S_t|S_0\)?
    Pretty confused

4. Adienl

Adienl Member

Also, thanks for replying so fast.

5. Steve Hales

Oh, I see what you mean. \(S_t\) is a random process, but it has to start somewhere, and so will always depend to some extent on its initial value \(S_0\). In the question you mention, the expression for \(S_t\) depends on \(S_0\), but the distribution doesn't appear to because \(S_0=1\). The conditioning is implied.

Does that help?

6. Adienl

Adienl Member

But isn't this mathematically incorrect to not denote that \(S_t|S_0\) ? I understand what you're saying though, that we don't need to explicitly mention this particular conditioning all the time? Is that correct?
    Thanks for the help.

7. Steve Hales

It is certainly more precise to include the conditioning, and the fact that it isn't always done is unfortunate.

Adienl likes this.
  8. Adienl

Adienl Member

Thank you sir