Compound bonus Q

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Barb37, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Barb37

Barb37 Member

i am stuck on a calculation which involves compounding bonus.hope someone can help.

say, a endowment assurance policy with sum assured of 1 and reversionary compound bonus of 2% evaluates at 4% interest rate.
    policyholder aged x
    i can write the expected PV as Ax:n*j and j = (1.04)/1.02 - 1

is there a way to calculate this benefit explicitely?

many thanks and happy new year.

Barb

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Compound bonus

Barb37,

Your working seems spot on to me. Ax:n *j% where j = 1.04/1.02-1

None of the functions in the Yellow Tables are calculated at 2% so you would have to go back to frist principles:

Ax:n = {v dx + v^2 dx+1 + v^3 dx+2 +....+ v^n dx+n-1} / lx + v^n lx+n / lx

Notice how useful the dx's are here. You may have wondered why would there be a need for such a commutation function. Well, presumably, before computers, actuaries calculated Ax:n with a table of dx's in front of them, exactly like this!

I can't see this being asked in the CT5 exam for n>5 - it would be a test of who is fastest on the calculator.

Happy New Year!
    John

3. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Compound bonus

Barb37,

Your working seems spot on to me. Ax:n *j% where j = 1.04/1.02-1

None of the functions in the Yellow Tables are calculated at 2% so you would have to go back to frist principles:

Ax:n = {v dx + v^2 dx+1 + v^3 dx+2 +....+ v^n dx+n-1} / lx + v^n lx+n / lx

Notice how useful the dx's are here. You may have wondered why would there be a need for such a commutation function. Well, presumably, before computers, actuaries calculated Ax:n with a table of dx's in front of them, exactly like this!

I can't see this being asked in the CT5 exam for n>5 - it would be a test of who is fastest on the calculator.

Happy New Year!
    John