Completing the modelling in excel

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Viki2010, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Is it possible to pass if not completing the excel modelling? On the other hand investing more time into the documentation which gains more marks overall....

2. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

I didn't get time to finish paper 1 and still passed! The hard bit (& the reason why I passed) was to go in the next day and do paper 2 with a proper mindset and forgetting that paper 1 didn't go as well as wished and giving it my best! :) Best of luck!

3. Sailajah G

Sailajah G Keen member

Thanks for the advice.
    If you don't mind me asking, in paper 1 did you not finish the modelling or the audit trail?

4. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

If you don't model something, you can't put it in your audit trail. Whatever I had modelled, I explained it in my audit trail.

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks for sharing.
    It sounds as it is better to switch back and forth between excel and word document and not finish the model rather than have an excel model and word doc not 100% complete.

6. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

Hi,

it is up to you on how to operate during the exam. personally i "finished" my model and then start writing. the split i used was 1h modeling and 2h writing.

p.s completing the model is sth very relevant.
    p.s.2 As mentioned in previouspost reply, the secret is to write very well in paper 2. for paper 1 best case scenario is to complete 80-90% of the model and write a good trail.

7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, thanks for sharing.
    Aren't the marks split 50/50 between paper 1 and paper 2?

8. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

yeap.but the 2nd 50% is much easier and more predictable.

9. Angel1

Angel1 Member

I will be retaking CP2 in April. Subject Access request from my Sept's attempt stated that I failed my exam due to scoring very low marks on model devs for Paper 1.
    I am looking for guidance on best ways to approach the model dev on paper 1 and how best to approach CP2 retake.
    I did an online CP2 classroom for Sept's attempt. Is it worth doing any tutorials again?
    I am going through the past papers. I will be submitting mock exam for marking.
    Is there anything else I should be considering?
    Thank you

10. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Lots of checks in the model and appropriate layout!

11. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

And appropriate charts for which I've lost marks....

12. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

When developing the model it may also be worth commenting on the reasonableness of the model output. E.g why have the results changed etc and does it look reasonable. The use of a charts (as mentioned by Viki2010) could help to tease this out.

If you run out of time to complete an aspect of the model, it’s good practice to highlight this in the audit trail and include a few sentences on what you might have expected the results to be had you been able to finish.

This should (hopefully ) help to leave the examiner with a good impression. And could be the difference between just passing. Good luck