Complement of Credibility vs Ancilliary Statistic

Discussion in 'SP8' started by jjjkkk, Oct 3, 2015.

1. jjjkkk

jjjkkk Member

Can somebody please clear this up for me. My understanding is that the complement of credibility is just (1-Z) and that the ancilliary statistic is the independent information.
    However, I have noticed a few times the notes/exam solutions do not seem to stick to this, for example, Q9 (i) in April 2014 ASET states "The external information is known as the complement of credibility"

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I am afraid that the problem here is that term complement of credibility isn't always uniquely defined. Sometimes it means (1-Z) see the Core Reading on page 3 of Unit 18 and sometimes it means the independent information (or the ancillary statistic) see the Core Reading in Section 4 of Unit 18 which starts on page 32.

This demonstrates that it is always important that you clearly define any terms you use in an exam question.

3. Sherwin

Sherwin Member

I suppose that complement of credibility is the same as ancillary statistic in the US.

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I wouldn't get too bogged in this detail.

In general the term "ancillary statistic" and "complement of credibility" can be used interchangeably, to mean "1-Z". To me, it feels less natural for it to mean "the external information", but people would understand what you mean.