CMP vs Core Reading

Discussion in 'CT1' started by shaky10, Jun 18, 2010.

1. shaky10

shaky10 Member

Hi,

I am going to start my preperation for CT1 exam for October session. I want to aks that what sthe best preperation material, Core reading recommended by the Actuary Profession or CMP by Actuarial Education?

CMP includes other materials such as question bank which is very useful but I want to compare the core reading material.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Louise

Louise Member

The CMP contains all the core reading, plus additional explanatory notes, chapter summaries and plenty of questions. So I would say the CMP is definitely better. However, I'm not sure how the prices compare, if that's a consideration.

3. didster

didster Member

CT1 is a mathematical subject and if I remember correctly the Core Reading may be a little scant on examples, which is generally what you want for a mathematical subject. It's not always obvious how to connect the raw theory with actually doing questions.

CMP is generally regarded as minimum study material.

Of course, if you're broke and a genius, it should be possible to use just the core reading and the past papers available on the profession's site. Loads more work though and I wouldn't recommend it.

4. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

I agree with this. The more mathematically sound students should be able to use just the core reading alone to get through. I think that the additional acted material tones down alot of the core reading for the benefit of the less mathematically inclined. I can't say i'd recomend just the standalone copy of the core reading and the past exams either since in alot of subjects the content is changing regularly and alot of the questions published by acted each year are consistent with these changes.

5. shaky10

shaky10 Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I used to be good in Math but haven't done any Math for past 9 years so I think I will go for CMP considering the short time left for preperation to sit october exams.

Thanks