CM1 Sept 2019 and April 2019 CM1B

Discussion in 'CM1' started by rlsrachaellouisesmith, Aug 22, 2020.

1. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Good morning
    I know that for the CM1B exams a spreadsheet is provided for solutions, is this available for download somewhere I have not been able to find it yet?
    Thank you

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

3. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Thank you for the reply, I had already seen these but these were the completed solution files, I was hoping for an empty template rather than having to work out what to delete from the files.

If you can point me to the empty templates, that would be great.

4. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

5. Meg

Meg Member

Hi Lucy,
    On these template files, was everything which is left in the template files as provided by the IFoA in the exam templates?
    The column headers are a big help for knowing exactly which calculation are needed and organising thoughts (especially on Q2 where I wasn't entirely sure what they meant by a half-yearly cashflow schedule). So just trying to understand how much of a hint they give vs our expected autonomy.

6. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

Yes, the template files are what students downloaded at the start of each exam. The examiners provided answer formats / templates for the September 2019 exam questions. This wasn't the case in the April 2019 exam, but our understanding is that the examiners do plan to provide suggested formats for answers going forwards.

While the answer formats can be helpful, do be careful that you don't just follow them blindly. They deliberately keep the headings vague, eg the tables for September 2019 Q1 just have headings like 'P(male alive)' rather than tpx or p_x+t, so you'd still have to figure out the exact probability required for yourself.

Also, you're allowed to adapt the answer format or come up with a completely new format on the day if you like. I often find it useful to make the odd change to the template so it better suits my own way of thinking!

7. Saksham Mehta

Saksham Mehta Member

So examiners are only concerned with the answers and with proper steps for that answer
    I f i want to change the format of answer which is prescribed by examiners in our excel sheet

8. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

The September 2019 Examiners' Report said that while students were provided with suggested formats in the spreadsheets they downloaded at the start of the exam, they were not penalised for using a valid alternative approach. The examiners want you to answer the question correctly and there are often multiple ways of doing this.