CM1 Preparations

Discussion in 'CM1' started by Libin V John, Jun 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Libin V John

Libin V John Member

Hi, I will be writing my CM1 exam in September 2021. Since I am a newly admitted member, I don't know how to start preparing. I have downloaded the CMP material alone.
    Is this material enough to pass the exam ?
    If Yes, how should I start ?
    Can I study this whole material on my own ?
    What all steps should I take to study for CM1 the right way ? ( Both Part A and B )

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

I can offer my thoughts on the above but you should bear in mind that everyone learns best in a different way and so you should try to make your studies as personal as possible to you. The "right" way to study CM1 is there one that is "right" for you. Right in this context is probably the approach that allows you to accumulate the knowledge within the course as efficiently as possible. Distance learning can be something new to students when they begin their actuarial studies and can take some getting used to. Some prefer to learn in a more traditional way e.g. by attending tutorials and so having that regular contact with a subject expert. Others are comfortable learning on their own and can sustain the motivation required throughout the session.

In theory, the combined materials pack alone could be enough to pass the exam. This contains the theory that the examiners will be testing you as well as questions for you to practise and demonstrate your knowledge. It's important to use the CMP actively. Few students can pick up knowledge sufficiently by reading alone. Making your own notes alongside the CMP and attempting the practice questions can be a good way to reinforce what you have read. You can work through chapter by chapter, but make sure you keep an eye on the calendar so that once you complete the course you have sufficient time for revision.

Our surveys and analysis of pass rates strongly indicate that students benefit from a variety of materials. For example, our tutorials, which are currently delivered online, give you the chance to engage with someone who has excellent course knowledge and experience, and allow you to ask any questions that you might have. They also offer a chance for you to reinforce the knowledge you've gained from the course notes and be guided through the types of questions that will come up on the exam.

Another resource that you may find particularly useful is our Paper B Online Resource (PBOR). This contains a large number of practice questions to be attempted in Excel. You should find this to be excellent preparation for the paper B exam.

We also offer a number of revision materials that can be used as you get closer to the exam. One of the most popular of these is our ASET which contains a number of the most recent past papers with ActEd guidance on material and exam technique. Whether you purchase this material or not, you will want to attempt a good number of past papers. These are available on the institute website, but you may find the solutions to be lacking some of the detail required for your understanding.

We offer lots more besides, but as I said at the start it really is a case of finding the materials that work best for you. You might benefit from reading through the Study Guide that is included with CMP to see our full range of materials and our general advice.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Good luck!
    Joe

Bharti Singla and Libin V John like this.
  3. Libin V John

Libin V John Member

Thanks a lot for your time. I will definitely do my best to prepare for the exam.