1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CM1 Chapter 21 Question 11

Discussion in 'CM1' started by ldr, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ldr

ldr Member

Hello,

I just want some clarity on the above question.

My confusion is regarding the £1000 Claim Expenses on Death. Now in the question it states that the benefit is payable immediately on death so I've taken this to mean the claim expenses are also paid immediately on death and in my answer have approximated by multiplying it by (1+i)^(1/2). However in the solution it doesn't do this, it just calculates it on the basis that the claim expense would be paid at the end of the year of death. Can you please explain why the difference in approach for the claims expense as opposed to the benefit. I feel like they should both be calculated on the same basis?

Many thanks for your help :)

2. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

You're correct here - the expense should be paid immediately on death in this case and not at the end of the year of death. Thank you for pointing this mistake out!

We'll issue a correction document on the ActEd website shortly.