Chpt. 10, The saturated models

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Ark raw, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Ark raw

Ark raw Member

In section 3.2, it talks about saturated models having as many parameters as observations, so how does this lead to saturated model is the perfect fit to the data? in other words, how does model having same no. of parameters as the observations, fit that data perfectly?

And 2ndly in the same section, under key information it states that \mu^_i = y_i, shouldn't it be
    g(\mu^_i)=y_i?

Attached Files:

• doc.pdf
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
  2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The easiest thing is to do an example yourself. So if you have data \(Y_i \sim Poi(\mu_i)\) and calculate the MLE of the \(\mu_i\)'s you'll see that they are equal to the \(y_i\)'s.

Since our estimates are equal to the observed values this means that our estimates are equal to the data - ie we have a perfect fit to the data.

3. Ark raw

Ark raw Member

Thank you for clearing my doubt.
    But I still can't understand this:
    in other words, how does model having same no. of parameters in the linear predict lead to that model being a perfect fit?

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

As I said above, the fitted values (our estimations) are the observed values. So the fit is the observations and so the fit is equal to the data - so it is a perfect fit to the data.