Cheating due to time difference

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Little Miss Actuary, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

He's removed the post now but you are right - this is unreasonable and needs close monitoring!

2. didster

didster Member

And don't forget that there are people in the western hemisphere as well.

I've seen a few posts in various subjects (thankfully with minimal detail on the exam) before exams start.

Whilst it may be unlikely that anyone benefited from viewing a post about the exam beforehand, it would be much better if everyone waited until the next day to post.

3. CA2 student

CA2 student Member

Maybe the exam forum for each subject should be locked until the day after?

Although I think ideally the Institute should sort out the timings so people can't cheat!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  4. didster

didster Member

I would like to think that those who post exam discussions prematurely didn't realise that this is a problem.

Locking the exam section of the forum may prevent this, but some people put posts in other places, eg subject discussion.

Don't think that it's possible to find a mutually convenient time for say someone in Austraila, UK, and american west coast.

5. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

wish I checked this site this morning lol

Oh well did deadly anyways , the best kind of cheating ,preparation . Anyone who thinks seeing the exam paper even an hour before the exam is no help is an idiot , nuff said . I can memorize a paper and solutions in like 30 mins no problem. What did this person post up ? a list of the questions? or was s/he just innocently talking about her/his exam ?

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Agree, Didster - we do have a notice on the forums saying not to post until the day after, but maybe it's not clear enough...
    Next exam session we'll sort out something a bit more foolproof, probably either by mod-ing every thread during the two weeks of exams, or locking until the day after.

7. CA2 student

CA2 student Member

I was mainly innocent chit-chat. The only things that would have helped someone was it was obvious what topic the last question was on.

8. anon2

anon2 Member

Not really necessary.

Any real cheaters would not use the ActEd forum!!

9. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Yep - real cheaters would find someone in another country and instruct them to call them after the exam. Not sure why the person sitting the exam earlier would be willing to divulge this info though - as it's detrimental to their chances of passing.

It's an interesting problem, but I guess we've done all we can to make it OK (ie. not posting until the day after exam). Or Admin could mod the threads around the time that the earlier students (eg. Australian ones) sit the exams.

10. jonbon

jonbon Member

or their can be 3 papers at one point. One cannot be certain which paper one is going to get! This technique is applied at other examinations where their are 3 sets of papers for each exam to reduce cheating/copying!

11. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  12. capitalH

capitalH Member

They don't change exam dates for public holidays in SA.

For example, CT8 was written on 24 September 2008 and 22 April 2009, both public holidays.

Probably only for smaller exam centres?

13. Admin

We're going to close the exam discussion forums for posting during the exam period, and we're also going to moderate (ie vet each one before it gets posted) all other posts.

14. capitalH

capitalH Member

Must say never expected such a strong response.

Isn't another solution possible? I need somewhere to vent (without giving details about questions). I will even wait 24 hours after the exam, but not a month...

If the exam forum is closed - then these posts will surely migrate to other forums (not just ActEd)?

15. Admin

Sorry, but you'll only have to hold your breath until a day or so after the last exam has been sat. The Profession has made it quite clear that nobody's to post comments until then, so we're just doing our bit.

Of course we can't stop people posting on other forums (although I think the Profession's forums are closing too), but I don't think people will mind (too much!) waiting at most two weeks.

16. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Hypothetically, if after my exam (not ca2 or ca3) I went into my office next day and had a nice chat with my hypothetical colleagues about the questions on the paper. Would that be breaking the rules?

Also hypothetically, what if after my exam I went for a couple of pints in a hypothetical pub in Hammersmith with other students who sat exam and then disussed some of the questions?

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  17. In my opinion, that is totally fine. If (without your knowledge) a colleague then went and emailed their mates around the world what you had said, it would be your colleagues who broke the rules, not you. This assumed none of your colleagues are due to fly out that day to take the exam elsewhere ;)

Again, in my opinion, that's totally fine.

18. I just realised that when you edit a post, the changes are updated immediately.

People who want to deliberately post current exams questions might exploit this loophole. :)

Admins might want to introduce some controls for editing posts.

19. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Or they might just phone/email whoever it is they are trying to help instead:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2009