Chapter 9: Loan Schedules

Discussion in 'CT1' started by vidhya36, Jun 22, 2014.

1. vidhya36

vidhya36 Very Active Member

I could not understand the solution for the question 9.7. Can somebody help me out?

A loan of £80,000 is repayable by eight annual payments, starting in one year’s time, with interest payable at 4½% pa. Payments one to three are half as much as payments four to eight. Calculate the loan outstanding one year before the loan is completely repaid.

Few things I need to be clarified in particular:

"Payments one to three are half as much as payments four to eight."
    How this is written ----> 80000 = X. a |3 + 2 X. Nu^ 3. a|5
    How this is written ----> 80000 = X. a|8+X. Nu^3. a| 5
    Prospectively - 2 X 7660.75Nu
    Retrospectively - 80000 (1+ i)^7- X. S|7 - X. S|4 Why this S|4?

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

So payment 1-3 is X and payment made 5-8 is 2X.

So PV do all payments at start is PV of 3 yeas of X and then 5 years of 2X.
    Or you could think of it as X for 8 years and another X for final 5 years.

At time 7, one year to go.
    Prospectively, PV of future payments (there's only one ) is PV of 2X.

Retrospectively: we're subtracting AV of past payments (seven of them) so it's subtracting X for all 7 years and another X for 4 years, hence s4.

m

3. sai viswaja

sai viswaja Member

what about the example in page 9??
    can anyone explain how did we get
    12759.16v(1+a|2) in prospective method
    and 50000(1.08)^2-12759.16((1.08)+1) in retrospective method

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The prospective method is the PV of the future 3 repayments with the interest change after the first repayment. hence the annuity being separate from the next repayment.

The retrospective method is simply the accumulated value of the loan sibtract the accumulated value of the two past repayments (they could have used s|2 but instead did it from first principles).

5. Noely

Noely Member

Hi All,

Please correct me if I am wrong in the following, it is the thought process which I applied when dealing with the Example above.

The prospective loan calculation determines the present value of future payments. Therefore since the payments are made in arrears at the end of each year, we can assume that after the second payment which becomes the begining of the third year. Therefore if we assume that t=2 is the point at which we want to take our PV, then the cashflow that we are seeing comes through as follows:

PV= Xv1(@8%) + v^1(@8%)[ 2Xv^1(@12%) + 2Xv^2(@12%)]

Solving this we get:
    12759.16v(@8%)(1+a|2 (@12%)) which we can then solve.

Any advice regarding the above would be wonderful.

Regards
    N

6. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Looks fine to me Noely.

7. Hi,
    While calculating the amount to paid for each installment, X in Q9.7, I used the following equation:
    80,000= X(0.5*a3 + v^3 * a5) at 4.5% p.a.
    but I am getting a different answer. Why is it so? I think it should not make any difference whether we double the annuity for 5 years or half the annuity for 3 years!
    Kindly clarify.

8. suraj

suraj Member

Final answer using your method should be Xv rather 2Xv.

9. Can you please elaborate? I didn't understand what you are trying to say.

10. Hi... When calculating the loan using retrospective method,why don't we use x and 2x..ie
    (1+i)^7-[xs2+2xs3]

11. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

We need the loan o/s at the end of 7th year. Using retrospective method, there are two ways:
    Either you can do:-
    80000(1+i)^7 - X S-3(1+i)⁴ - 2X S-4
    [X amt. of payments in first three years, further accumulating it to 7th year and 2X amt. of payments in next 4 years].
    Or
    80000(1+i)^7 - X S-7 - X S-4
    [X amt. of payments in the whole 7 years plus X amt. of payments more in last 4 years i.e. from time 4 to 7 so that it makes 2X in last 4 years].

Hope this helps!

12. Thanks
    I appreciate

Bharti Singla likes this.