Chapter 8 Components of Capital Cost

Discussion in 'SA3' started by ykljj, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ykljj

ykljj Member

My understanding is:

The capital occupation cost is like a risk-free return required by holding capital in safe instruments, while the capital call cost is an additional return to compensate for the risk of writing insurance business, i.e. Risk of eroding the capital. The sum of these two components will be the cost of capital for the business.

Is this correct?

2. avnish

avnish Member

Capacity occupation cost is an opportunity cost that compensates the company for
    missing out on other opportunities.
    By holding capital in safe investments, a company expects to make a lower return than
    it would if it were able to invest the funds more freely.
    It is a non-consumptive use of capital.

Capital call cost compensates for the potential erosion of capital in order to make claim
    payments.
    The amount of the charge depends on the likelihood of such a transfer being necessary
    as well as the likely amounts involved.
    It is a consumptive use of capital.

From acted X-series answers

3. ykljj

ykljj Member

That's word for word from the course notes. I'd like to know if there is another way to look at them.

4. avnish

avnish Member

1) Capactiy occuption would be the premium above the risk-free rate to cater for the opportunity cost of not being invested in risky asset.
    2) Capital call cost would be the premium required to the investor to cater for the fact that intial capital might be lost if technical reserves are insufficient to pay for claims. In short, risk premium for risk for capital loss.

5. avnish

avnish Member

On a side note, it never appeared in exams and it's not new in the syllabus

6. ykljj

ykljj Member

Got it thanks avnish!