Chapter 7 distribution of S

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Molly, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

Hi all,

Looking at calculating the probability that S will exceed 41.7 for a random samplee of 5 values taken from a N(100,25^2) population

So my initial reaction was that E(S^2)=\sigma^2=25^2
    Var(S^2)=2\sigma^4/(n-1) for the normal distribtuion

so S^2-N(25^2, 25^4/4)
    i would then go on to compute P(S^2>41.7) but this gives an incorrect answer. the solutions look like i should be using (n-1)S^2/\sigma^2 0 chi^2_4

i understand the latter formula, could someone clarfiy why my method wouldnt work, and in what event would we use S^2-N(\sigma^2, 2\sigma^4/(n-1)) please?

Thanks so much in advance
    Molly

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Because the distribution of \(S^2\) is very skewed. You could quickly test this out using R and simulating lots of samples from a normal distribution, calculating their sample variance and then plotting a histogram.

We can use a normal approximation to calculate probabilities involving the mean (using the Central Limit Theorem) but we need to use the chi-squared distribution for probabilities involving the variance.

Tinashe Chikwamba likes this.
  3. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

ah amazing thank you so much!!

So if i am asked the mean or variance, i can say
    E(S^2)=\sigma^2 and Var(S^2)=2\sigma^4/(n-1), but i had jumped to the conclusion that this is normally distributed which is not the case because of skewness as you said... makes complete sense , thank you :)

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Glad I could help.