Chapter 6 6.5 (iv) Part

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Chirag Wadhwa, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Chirag Wadhwa

Chirag Wadhwa Keen member

Why x_C=0 in this part as in the question it is not specified that no proprtion of money will be invested in risk free asset C.
    Can anyone please explain?
    This has also happened in the CT8 paper, April 2009 Diet 4th Question.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Along the efficient frontier there are lots of efficient portfolios - and one of those efficient portfolios will hold zero in the risk-free asset. It's this particular efficient portfolio the solution is referring to. It's useful because in E-sigma space it determines where the straight line coincides with the market portfolio.

3. Chirag Wadhwa

Why one of those efficient portfolios will be 0?

4. Steve Hales

Sorry - I've revised my earlier post. It meant to reference the market portfolio rather than the y-axis.
    The investor has the freedom to choose the proportion held in the risk-free asset. Choosing x_C=0 is a legitimate outcome, and matches the market portfolio.

5. Chirag Wadhwa

Ok. What will happen if x_c is not equal to 0, so then it will match the market portfolio?
    So, at the point where the stright line coincides with the market portfolio x_c=0. How?

6. Steve Hales

By definition. The market portfolio is made up of only the risky assets held in the same proportions as their market capitalisations. Since the risk-free asset isn't included we have x_C=0.

7. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Hi Steve,

On the same question, can you please let me know how; if a risk free asset is available, the new efficient frontier is the straight line as mentioned in the explanation.

Thanks
    Sunil

8. Steve Hales

Check out the question on page 5 of the Asset pricing models chapter - that covers it entirely. Let me know if you have problems with it.

9. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Thanks