Chapter 5, Pg 24

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Archit Bansal, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Archit Bansal

Archit Bansal Member

On going through the example and question on the said page, we have forward exchange rate, F = 1.5, force of interest in UK = 4%pa, force of interest in US = 2%pa. Exchange has to take place in 90 days and we are to find Spot rate S.

Then as per the formula, S= 1.5 *[exp(0.02*90/365)]/[exp(0.04*90/365)] which should come out to 1.4926 but the result in solution is 1.5074

Kindly clarify.

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, The version I am looking at has the factor the other way round from your text above. It has the 4% on the top and the 2% on the bottom. If your notes have the factor the way you have quoted above, then please confirm this and we will investigate further.

3. Archit Bansal

Archit Bansal Member

New
    Can you please validate the result in the material through you own calculation? And it would great if you can share a screenshot of the solution in your material.

Thanks for replying

4. Colin McKee

I would be happy to do so. However I am still confused about your post. Do your notes show the equation you have added in the post? namely S= 1.5 *[exp(0.02*90/365)]/[exp(0.04*90/365)]. Or do your notes show the opposite, with the 0.04 on the top line and the 0.02 on the bottom line as appears in my version of the notes? thanks

5. Archit Bansal

Archit Bansal Member

It shows the opposite, with 0.04 on the top and 0.02 on the bottom; F on one side and S and the forces of interest on the other. I have just reciprocated it to show the final computation of S.

6. Colin McKee

Ahh I see. I can see what you mean - I didnt see that you had switched the S and F around in your post from the formula in the course notes. Normally we are given a spot rate S and asked to calculate a forward F. But in this ActEd example we are given the forward and asked to find the spot. I will sort out a better explanation than the one in the ActEd course notes and place it in a "corrections" doc on the ActEd website. In fact the result of the spot rate calculation is correct, but the way we have reached the result is wrong.

7. Archit Bansal

Archit Bansal Member

Thanks for clarifying