Chapter 5 Page 22 Example...

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Simon_P, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Simon_P

Simon_P Member

Seems to be inconsistent. The question defines

mu_0_1 = 0.01
    and
    mu_1_1 = 0.1

The diagram subsquently shows transitions from states 0->1 and states 1->0 with the advertised probabilities.

Is this a mistake or am I missing some subtle 'aha' type point of understanding?!?

2. Hi. I was just looking and saw you had no reply on your thread. Are you happy with this now? I've had a look at the example and can't spot anything wrong with it (ie the diagram is just showing the information given in the question in terms of transition rates, nothing more.)?

3. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

I was actually wondering about that too since on the diagram, the transition rates go from 1 - 0 and then 0 - 1, but the question has mu_1_1 instead of mu_1_0. Is this an error or does mu_1_1 count as mu_1_0?

Thanks.

4. OK - I'm blind! You are both quite right - in the first paragraph mu(1,1) should be mu(1,0). Then, in the first derivative formula below the diagram, mu(1,1) is used correctly. However, in the line below (starting "since") it talks about sigma(1,1) - this should be mu(1,1)!

(This just proves how we see what we want to see when we read something, not what's actually there!)

I shall update the corrections document again today, which you should be able to download direct from our website shortly.
    Sorry for the double confusion here. Hopefully all straight now????

5. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Definitely.

Thanks much.