Chapter 4 Section 1.5 Question 3

Discussion in 'CB2' started by Lauren Culligan, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Lauren Culligan

Lauren Culligan Made first post

Hi,

I have a question relating to Chapter 4 of the Acted notes for CB2. On page 7 of Ch 4 there is a question about utility of goods X and Y. Part (ii) asks you to calculate the possible combination of goods that would satisfy the optimum combination of goods consumed. Using the prices in the question, I can understand where the logic that the marginal utility of Good Y must be twice of Good X comes from, but I can’t understand where the possible combinations are coming from. I’m possibly missing something simple but would really appreciate a bit of help with this. Thanks!

2. Richie Holway

Richie Holway ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Lauren,

If you're happy with the logic that the marginal utility from the last unit of Good Y needs to be twice the marginal utility from the last unit of Good X, it's then just a case of looking at the marginal utilities for each unit of Good X and identifying the ones for where there does exist a marginal utility for any unit of Good Y that is exactly double. Eg:

- the marginal utility of the 1st unit of Good X is 10, but there are no units of Good Y with 2*10 = 20 of marginal utility, so we ignore this option
    - the marginal utility of the 2nd unit of Good X is 8, but there are no units of Good Y with 2*8= 16 of marginal utility, so we ignore this option
    - the marginal utility of the 3rd unit of Good X is 7, but there are no units of Good Y with 2*7= 14 of marginal utility, so we ignore this option
    - the marginal utility of the 4th unit of Good X is 5, and there is a unit of Good Y (the 2nd unit) that has twice as much marginal utility (2*5=10), hence 4X and 2Y is one combination
    - the marginal utility of the 5th unit of Good X is 4, and there is a unit of Good Y (the 3rd unit) that has twice as much marginal utility (2*4=8), hence 5X and 3Y is one combination
    - the marginal utility of the 6th unit of Good X is 3, and there is a unit of Good Y (the 4th unit) that has twice as much marginal utility (2*3=6), hence 6X and 4Y is one combination.

Thanks,
    Richie