Chapter-4 probability distributions

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Bharti Singla, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

Hii all.. I have some queries of this chapter as follows:-
    1.5, page 9- here an another formulation of neg. binomial distribution is given. But I dont understand its PDF.. can anyone expailn its combination ( k+y-1 / y).. If Y=X-K... then k+y-1 in place of x-1 is okk.. but why Y is used in place of k-1??

2.3, page 19- here is a line given 'The uniform distribution on(0,1) is a special case ( with a=b=1) ..how???

Ch.6, page 4- In qus. 6.1, what does ''given in 0'' means??
    And last one:- Does E[E(X)]= E(X)??

2. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

I can help you with the last two.

For the "given in 0", it is a reference which is corrupted. What i mean to say is, there are "given in 0" and "from 0" given many places in the book, but you should ignore it because they refer to nothing.

The last one:
    E(E(X))=E[{summation over i=1 to n} of {(Xi)*1/n}]................(we broke the mean into its basic form just for explanation)
    =(1/n)*Summation over i=1 to n of E(Xi).......(Putting back the inner expectation together and expanding the outer expectation)
    =(n/n)*E(X)......................................(we summed E(X) n times, getting nE(X) )
    =E(X)...........(n got cancelled in both numerator and denominator, so we get E(X) )

Warm Regards,
    Shyam

3. Bharti Singla

ohkk... i got it. thanks

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The reference is corrupted, the correct ones are given in the corrections document on our website here.

5. Bharti Singla

plz anyone rply my first two queries