Chapter 4 Measures of risk

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Sunil Chaudhary, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Hi,
    As per introductory paragraph, if Assest A and B have same expectation and variance and if Assest A is positively skewed and Assest B is symmetrical, then Assest A might be preferred by some investors.
    Can someone please let me know the reason for this.

Many thanks
    Sunil

2. CapitalActuary

CapitalActuary Ton up Member

Intuitively:

Asset A is less likely to experience big negative returns than asset B, since it is positively skewed, even though the mean and variance are the same.

Or, if you prefer a more theoretical argument:

An investor wanting to maximise their expected log-wealth will want to maximise the odd moments and minimise the even moments of return. If the return is R then, without loss of generality, wealth is 1+R, and maximising log(1+R) is the goal. We can Taylor expand log(1+R):

log(1+R) = R - R^2 / 2 + R^3 / 3 - R^4 / 4 + ...

From this expression, we can see that to maximise log-wealth we need to maximise the odd moments of the return (mean, skew, ...) and minimise the even moments (volatility, kurtosis, ...).

Maximising expected log-wealth is a common idea used in finance because it maximises the expected geometric return. You can also think of it as maximising expected utility with a logarithmic utility function. Through this lens, it's incorporating some risk aversion because log is a concave function.

Steve Hales likes this.
  3. Sunil Chaudhary

Thanks.

I don't know if my understanding is correct, but if Asset A is positively skewed then the probability of return more than mean is less than what is for Asset B. Or probability of higher returns for Asset A is less than Asset B.

Does this make any sense.

4. CapitalActuary

CapitalActuary Ton up Member

What you described is a decent rule of thumb for most 'nice' probability distributions, in particular continuous ones, but I wouldn't be confident that the idea holds in general.

E.g. see here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10691898.2005.11910556 which shows some examples of positively skewed distributions where the median is above the mean rather than below.

5. Sunil Chaudhary

Thanks