Chapter 30

Discussion in 'SP2' started by kimiko, Aug 18, 2023.

1. kimiko

kimiko Very Active Member

Hi, can you kindly help me understand:
    • the first point in page 3 of this chapter: “Experience will be monitored as part of the control cycle to: develop earned asset shares”
    • part of the solution in page 9: “Thus looking at an investigation based on the last five years of data, for instance, will imply a reaction time three years slower than if we were to use just two years of data.”

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  2. kimiko

Also, on page 20 there’s an explanation about notional rent. However, I don’t understand why the company needs to pay for rent when it already owns the building. Isn’t the building an asset to the company and where will the rent collected go? How will the notional rent look like on a balance sheet, like depreciation?

3. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Kimiko

The actuarial control cycle is covered in Subject CP1. Monitoring experience is part of the control cycle and asset shares is one of the things we could monitor.

Gathering 5 years of data takes 3 years longer than gathering 2 years of data.

Best wishes

Mark

4. Mark Willder

Hi Kimiko

The concept of notional rent applies to setting assumptions for things like pricing and reserving. It's not an accounting concept that would impact the balance sheet.

The owners of the insurer will expect all its assets to earn some form of investment return. The insurer's head office is a substantial asset and so it is particularly important that it earns a return. So the insurer calculates a notional rent as a proxy for the return that the building should earn. It then loads this cost into the expenses of the insurer when pricing. In that way, part of the premium is providing an investment return on the building.

Best wishes

Mark

5. kimiko

Thank you, Mark!

Also on page 14 there's an example where expenses are per premium, per SA and per policy. I would expect for example the solution for total initial expenses to be then 500*P(new)+100*S(new)+200*N(new) instead of what is provided in the notes as per premium multiplied by the premium should give the actual expense, right? I understand the formula I provided is still wrong as that would give me the total initial expenses for the whole portfolio instead of for just that policy. I would understand the solution given if the word "Per" wasn't there, maybe my understanding of the word Per is wrong.

6. kimiko

Can you kindly explain this sentence on page 21 as well? "As stated earlier in this section, these costs (investment department, stamp duty, commission etc) would be directly allocated to investment expenses and hence allowed for in assessing the investment return to use for pricing etc."

Thank you so much in advance

7. Mark Willder

Hi Kimiko

I see you are multiplying by the premiums, sum assureds etc, while the notes divide by these values. I think you have misunderstood what the table represents. The table gives the total expenses for the year (I think you thought that the table was giving the loadings). For example we have initial expenses of 500 which we want to express as a per premium loading. Let's say the premiums were 1,000. Then the loading is 500/1,000 = 0.5 per unit of premium.

Best wishes

Mark

8. Mark Willder

Hi Kimiko

This is referring back to the Core Reading on page 17 of the 2019 version of the notes which says:

"Investment expenses are normally expressed as a percentage of funds under management so that they can be treated as a deduction from the earned investment return."

Best wishes

Mark

9. kimiko

Can you kindly explain:
    1. This sentence at the end of the solution to Practice Question 30.2: "These expenses should be inflated to the midpoint of the period for which premium rates are expected to be in force."
    2. These sentences in the solution to Practice Question 30.4:
    (a) "Cumulative analyses may also be conducted."
    (b) "Divide lapses by relevant exposed-to-risk..."
    3. These sentence in 30.6(ii):
    (a) "Allow for any expected effects of changes in claim control in the future."
    (b) "Historical one-off internal and external events would be taken into account." Does taking these into account imply having an extra margin in the assumption?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

10. Mark Willder

1. If premium rates are going to be used fore the next four years, then on average they will be used at time two and so if the expenses include two years of inflation they will be correct on average.
    2. (a) We could look at the cumulative impact over several years as well as the impact over one year.
    (b) the exposed to risk is the number of policies
    3 (a) If claims controls are stricter then the number of claims paid will fall.
    (b) Yes it means these events are included within the expense assumption.