Chapter 25 Examples - Long Term Finances

Discussion in 'SA1' started by Contacts119, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Contacts119

Contacts119 Member

Hi

I am looking through the examples given on page 3 of chapter 5 in the course notes. For the last example on this page it mentions "Demonstration of how the long term finances of a health insurer would be measured and monitored".

I am unsure which part of the course this is referring to as chapter 20 only mentioned it briefly. I was also unsure of how an exam question would be phrased on this example, especially a potentially high mark question (e.g. 15 -20 marks) and what a model answer would include? All the other examples how typically come up in past paper questions in various guises.

Many thanks

Chris

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

A lot of SA1 is very technical, eg regulation, Solvency II, tax. These are areas that were covered only briefly in ST1, but are covered in great depth in SA1.

The list in Chapter 25 is the opposite end of the spectrum. These topics lead to much more practical questions. We've met these topics before in detail in ST1 and even CA1. Often they are covered very little in SA1 as the early subjects are assumed knowledge. So the Core Reading is just reminding us that we can't forget the earlier subjects and that questions can be asked on them.

For example, the point you mentioned on monitoring has been covered extensively in ST1 and CA1. So we need to know how to break down our data into homogeneous groups, adjust for trends and so on. If you're rusty on any of the items in the Chapter 25 list, then it's worth re-reading the summary pages from the earlier subjects as a refresher.

These kinds of questions (ie from the Chapter 25 list) come up a lot. A few examples include:

Products - April 16 Q3, Sept 14 Q3
    Risks - Sept 15 Q3, Apr 14 Q2
    Assumptions/Monitoring - Apr 13 Q1

Products and Risk are the two topics that would be most heavily examined.

Best wishes

Mark