Chapter 18 rules

Discussion in 'CM1' started by Molly, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

Hi all,
    sorry for the double post, just wanted to confirm something please.

so wrt compound increasing benefits for endowment assurance
    1) the survival benefit is SA*v^t*probability survival @ interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1
    2) the death benefit is SA*A^1_x:n] @interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1 EXCEPT when payments are made immediately on death, in which case
    the death benefit is SA/(v^0.5)*A^1_x:n] @interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1

does this make sense? have i covered all avenues here and also am i allowed to go into the exam knowing this and just applying it or do you think i will have to derive?

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  2. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

sorry, i forgot something, please see ammended version:
    so wrt compound increasing benefits for endowment assurance
    1) the survival benefit is SA*v^t*probability survival @ interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1
    2) the death benefit is SA*(1/(1-compound%))*A^1_x:n] @interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1 EXCEPT when payments are made immediately on death, in which case
    the death benefit is SA/(v^0.5)*(1/(1-compound%))*A^1_x:n] @interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1

3. Richie Holway

Richie Holway ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Molly,

This looks correct. For 2), your first line is based on death benefits being paid at the end of the year of death (as you mention), and it also assumes that the bonus is awarded at the end of each year. So if death occurs in the first year say, no bonuses would have been awarded and hence the benefit would just be SA, whereas if death occurred in the 2nd year, 1 bonus would have been awarded. This is often the case for products in exam questions, but it is also possible that you might see alternatives. For example, bonuses could be awarded at the beginning of the year instead, and so the calculation would need tweaking.

Thanks,
    Richie

Molly likes this.
  4. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

Hi Richie,

Thank you very much! I am not sure how we could tweak this for a bonus paid at the beginning of the year, please could you help on this?

Thanks

5. Michael Clarkson

Michael Clarkson ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Molly,

If the bonus was paid at the start of each year, rather than end, then each potential death benefit would be increased by (1+compound%)... so you could multiply your whole EPV by (1+compound%).
    This should give you an EPV of the death benefit of SA*A^1_x:n
    (please note, your 2) posted in your second message should say (1/(1+compound%)) rather than (1/(1-compound%)))

The survival benefit would be unchanged - regardless of when the bonus is paid/applied the survival benefit will include n bonuses i.e. EPV = SA*v^n*probability survival to n @ interest =(1+i)/(1+b)-1

Whilst it's good to cover all avenues, do bear in mind that examiners will often ask non-standard questions to test your ability to apply your knowledge. It's therefore good to be able to derive these sorts of EPVs to reflect the specifics of a particular exam question - I find drawing a timeline with the timing, amounts and probabilities of future payouts helps.

Thanks,
    Michael

Molly likes this.
  6. Molly

Molly Ton up Member

Hi Michael,

Ah i see, this makes sense now, thank you so much for your response and for clearing this up!!

Thank you!
    Molly