Chapter 18- Page 8

Discussion in 'SP7' started by nluashok, Aug 25, 2015.

1. nluashok

nluashok Member

Hi,

I am always confuse between parameters and variables. Please explain me difference between terms "Parameter" & "Variables".

Regards,
    Ashok

2. maz1987

maz1987 Member

My suspicion could be that variables are a subset of parameters.

A variable is something that varies; a parameter can vary, but it could also be static.

Furthermore, a parameter is a placeholder for an input eg one parameter would be interest rates, and the input to that parameter would be a static 3%. However another input could be that it varies between 0% and 10% based on some distribution.

Maybe someone could confirm that...

3. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In practice, I don't think anyone really distinguishes between the two. Certainly the ST7 Core Reading doesn't concern itself with it, so I shouldn't worry in the exam which terminology you use.

Generally speaking, I'd say that a variable is the thing you are estimating (eg average cost per claim). A parameter would be anything you think affects that variable (eg claims inflation).

Mind you, I've heard different explanations from different actuaries. Some people would say that a parameter is simply the value you attribute to a variable when you are building a model (eg if you're including claims inflation in your model then this would be a variable, and you might set the parameter for claims inflation to be 3%).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015