1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 17, Question 4

Discussion in 'CM1' started by Pete Maizonnier, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Pete Maizonnier

Pete Maizonnier Made first post

Why are the annuities in the RV for phases 2 & 3 of the policy in advance (not arrears)?

I think a mis-understanding of the domains of the Kx's is leading me to this question, so if someone could clarify that too, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jumper

Jumper Member

In phase 2 they are discounting using K+1. K would be the start of the year of the death and so K+1 is the end of the year of death. The first payment is on the next policy anniversary and so this would be an annuity in advance from K+1.

It's similar in Phase 3 when the annuity starts the day after time 25 and the discounting is from 25 (using v^25).

3. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

You can use annuities in advance or arrears for phases 2 and 3, provided that the v terms used have the correct powers (as Jumper pointed out).

It might sound silly, but for questions like this I find it really useful to draw pictures of what's going on. When I looked at phase 2 of this question I first drew out a timeline so I could figure out when the payments are happening, then drew an example scenario so I could calculate how many payments are being made in terms of Kx.

This then gives me the term of my annuity and I can then choose whether I want to use an annuity in advance or in arrears (both are correct as long as the v term has the correct power - see below).

I've attached my scribbles:

Ch17 Q4.jpg