Chapter 16 - Q16.1(ii)

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Darragh Kelly, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Darragh Kelly

Darragh Kelly Ton up Member

Hi,

Regarding Q16.1(i) from the notes I have a question on proving Xt is a martingale. I follow the proof right until the last line/statement.

For proving Xt is a martingale, how can we say v^T*ER[C|Fs]=Xs? Can someone explain this? C is a random variable at T>t ?

Thanks,

Darragh

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    The definition of Xt is given in the question as:

Xt = v^T*ER[C|Ft]

Therefore (by changing t to s) it must also be true that:

Xs = v^T*ER[C|Fs]

This is required in the last line of the proof.
    Hope that helps.

3. Darragh Kelly

Darragh Kelly Ton up Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.

Ok so we start with EQ(Xt|Fs) = Xs (1) -> this is what we want to prove, equation for a martingale.

We sub Xt for Xt = v^T*ER[C|Ft], and by using the tower law we can rewrite L.H.S. of equation (1) EQ(Xt|Fs) = v^T*ER[C|Fs] which is equal to Xs.

We know v^T*ER[C|Fs] = Xs is a martingale, as it is written in the martingale equation form, and C is the random variable occurring at T>t>s, the future value give filtration Fs. This fits definition of a martingale? Finally V^T is just a constant, and multiplying a martingale by a constant doesnt affect the martingale property?

Therefore using the above argument, we can say v^T*ER[C|Fs] = Xs is a martingale and as v^T*ER[C|Fs] = EQ(Xt|Fs), then Xt must also be a martingale?

Thanks,

Darragh