Chapter 14 Example on Page 33

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Jackie_You, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Jackie_You

Jackie_You Member

Hi, can anyone please tell why doesn't the answer restrict the age retirement between 60 to 65 while it has that condition in the question? Or did I interpret it wrong?:( :confused:

Thanks

2. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

It makes no difference when you're using the pension scheme in the Tables, as rx=0 for x<60 in this table.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Julie, we are looking at sR_bar_40, which is different from sR_bar_60? Since we are concerned about future service. I feel the same as Jackie_You. Please HELP!

4. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

sRbar60 just takes into account the years of service from age 60 onwards. Doing this you are ignoring the contribution from the years of service between 40 and 60.

An alternative way to write the top line is:

(s40 M60 + s41 M60 + ... + s59 M60) + s60 Mbar60 + ... + s64 Mbar64

= (s40 + ... + s59) M60 + sRbar60

But this isn't very useful because you can't just look it up in the Tables.

5. RaViShankar

RaViShankar Member

I also thought the solution is wrong. Also need some explanation.

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks Julie, but also sRbar40 takes into account retirement between 40 and 60. Since

Cx = takes into account retirement between (x, x+1), relating to the current year of service
    Mx = sums over all possible years of service
    Rx = sums over all possible retiremnts for all possible years of service

and the Rbars follow.

So we are including the possibility of retirement before 60, since the commutation function Cx is in Rx?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  7. Edwin

Edwin Member

I think I now get it Julie, since rx = 0 for x <60. So is Cx = 0, thus no one retires before. Can't believe I just saw this now.

However, if we look at April 2010, question 7. There is no retriction by the company on age retirement but we use the tables? Or could it be that the fact that the BASIS is based on the tables => that retirement before 60 is not allowed?

Thanks, it helped.

8. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

M is the sum of Cs, and sums over all possible years of retirement for a single year of service. The C's are all 0 before age 60, so the M's are all the same up to age 60.

R is the sum of the M's and so R sums over all years of service.

My advice with this kind of question is to think about each year of service one at a time. Try to write down an expression for the year of service (40,41). Then think about how this will change for year of service (41,42), and so on.

Then at the end, sum over all years of service.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  9. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

Edwin, to your last post, it's a big YES!!!!

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Wow, cheers, thanx! I've been thinking a bunch of nonsense.