Chapter 12 question 12.18

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Jiang Kaijie, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jiang Kaijie

Jiang Kaijie Member

An entrepreneur is considering a business project that will be financed by an unrestricted loan (effectively an overdraft). The only outlay required is an initial cost of $80,000. The income is received annually in arrears. At the end of the first year the income is expected to be $8,800 and inflation is expected to increase this each year thereafter by 10% pa compound. The entrepreneur may borrow and invest money at 12% pa interest.''

what is the accumulated profit at the end of the twelve years?
    the answer is just accumulating the NPV I.e.(5555 * 1.12 ^12).

why don't we consider the interest produced by the loan and the loan itself? I think the way to solve the question should be repaying the initial cost 80,000 first as a flexible borrowing, then accumulating the remaining cashflows to the twelfth year.
    Can somebody help me? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

I guess unrestricted doesn't mean that the loan is flexible and the borrower can repay it anytime he wants to. It just means he/she can get overdraft of initial loan.
    Though I'm not much sure, but I think so.

John Lee likes this.
  3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think you are saying find the DPP (ie the time when the loan is paid off) and then accumulate the remaining cashflows until time 12.

This will give the same answer - try it to see.