Chapter 12 practice questions, 12.1 v)

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Cam Bridger, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Cam Bridger

Cam Bridger Keen member

I've got the correct answer to this, but when checking against the answer there's something fundamental I don't think I'm understanding.

'The p-value of F=124.7 is much less than even 0.01, so H0 is rejected at the 1% level.'

When I go to the tables at the 5% level for a one sided test, I'm looking at F_1,n-2 = F_1,4 and get a value of 7.709 which is much less than 124.7 and the 1% value of F_1,4 is 21.2. Why is the answer saying the p value of F124.7 is less than even 0.01, ie, 1% level when it's not?

On a separate note, when doing these tests we're not asked at what level to do these at. Sometimes the answer uses the 5% level, sometimes it uses the 1% level, why is this? Is it just trying to show how strong the evidence is for rejection?

Thanks!

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The p-value is the probability of a more extreme value than your observed statistic (ie the probability of being more in the tail).
    Hence, the more extreme your value is, the smaller the p-value and hence it's less than 1%. Does that help?

With levels, 5% is the standard you should go for. But if we can reject at a higher level (ie a smaller tail) like 2.5% or 1% sometimes we say that to declare that we can "super"-reject the null hypothesis, if you like.
    However for exams, 5% will get you the right answer unless they explicitly ask you to test at a different level.

3. Cam Bridger

Cam Bridger Keen member

Cheers John, got it

John Lee likes this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Glad I could help.