Chapter 12, pg 32, Q 12.19

Discussion in 'CT3' started by kartik_newpro, Apr 1, 2012.

1. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

I do not understand how to interpret this question.

Well it was obvious that we need to estimate theta first. The solution says that the MLE is Xbar/6. How come?

And why is n=6? As far I understand, n is the number of trials and I do not think only 6 trials were conducted.

I cant get my head around this problem. What am I missing? Help me with this.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

To be honest it isn't very clear. I would've thought about it as total number of "successes" (ie impure bottles) divided by total number of "trials" (ie bottles). We have 301 impure bottles out of 1200 bottles. So an estimate would be 301/1200.

3. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Well John I still do not understand. The Solution says "If you cant spot immediately that the MLE here is just theta(hat) = Xbar/6, you can derive it as follows..."

How do I spot that IMMEDIATELY? I havnt spotted that yet! Can you just guide me conceptually with this problem? And how is n=6? There were 200 crates and all the crates were tested for impure bottles. Then why cant n be 200?

And theta(hat) = 0.25083, so Xbar should be 6 x 0.25083 = 1.50498

I tried finding the mean from the first principles ie summation(fi*xi)/summation(fi) = 351/200 = 1.755. I do not know if I am making sense. But what is going wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  4. John Lee

I would genuinely use my way of thinking about it. However, the reasoning for their way is that we have 200 crates each with 6 bottles in each crate. And we are trying to estimate the probability of an impure bottle.

One way is to calculate the average number of impure bottles per crate...

There is a mistake here you should get summation(fi*xi)/summation(fi) = 301/200 = 1.505

So we have an average of 1.505 impure bottle per crate. Since each crate has 6 bottles (and hence it is a Bin(6,theta) for each crate) our estimate for the theta will be 1.505/6 = 301/1200 = 0.25083333.

5. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Oh! Sorry about that mistake.

So theta here is the probability of a bottle being impure in a crate of 6 bottles and hence X ~ Bin(6,theta). Is this the right interpretation?

If yes, can I say that in this problem there are 200 such independent Bin(6,theta) random variables since there are 200 crates. And thats the reason I multiply the binomial probabilities of X=0,1,2,3,4 and multiply each of them by 200 giving me the expected number of impure bottles(ei's)? Is this the right interpretation?

6. John Lee

Yes.

Yes.

:)

7. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Thanks John