Chapter 12 Income Cover

Discussion in 'CT2' started by littlesan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. littlesan

littlesan Member

Hi

I'm currently having difficulties on understanding Ch12 p7
    Income cover only includes (all prior loan stock) but in ch12 p7 Income conver on eurosterling why is it divide by (1560+2500 +3800)??

Since eurosterling is on 2009 but the interest (2500) happens in year 2010 which is after 2009??

the same issue as well on eurosterling on asset cover

Please clarify for me.

Thanks!

2. w1w2teo

w1w2teo Member

Re:

I believe that it is just a crude measure using all the interest paid on prior loans that the company has taken on and does not take into account the year of payment.

3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The date of the bond (eg Eurosterling 2009) is the redemption date, not the interest payment date. Interest is payable every year, so we take it into the calculation.

4. littlesan

littlesan Member

Still don't understand

Yes i get your point.

I understand for income cover of unsecured loan stock we need to add ( 1560 + 2500 + 3800) but how come for income cover on eurosterling we still need to include 2500 when the redemtion year is 2009?

isn't the denominator for eurosterling suppose to be ( 1560 + 3800) instead because we are just including all PRIOR loan stock??

5. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Using the definition on page 6 of chapter 12

Income cover= (profit on ordinary activities before interest and taxation)/(annual interest payments due on that issue of loan stock + all prior loan stock)

As the Eurosterling and unsecured loan stock rank equally we combine them when considering the ratio.

Also note that we are calculating these %s at 2007 (so the 2009 stock still has a couple of years before redemption).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. Oliver

Oliver Member

I don't get you!!!!

I see nothing wrong with the Eurosterling income cover. From the defn, we just divide by the annual interest payments due for the loan plus those on prior loans. So is it not a case of dividing by the interest payments for loans for 2009, 2008 and 2007?
    However for the unsecured loan stock there is only one prior loan stock which is mortgage debenture for 2007. Are we not just supposed to divide by the interest payments for loans for the two, that is, by the interest payments on loan stock and mortgage debenture?
    Or otherwise the ranking is by priority of payment, and not to do with the dates given?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
  7. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

Yes, the ranking is by priority of payment, nothing to do with the dates...

The "all prior loans" in the Income cover definition is "all prior ranking loans" (ie higher ranking) - it has nothing to do with dates of issue of the loans.

Hope this helps clarify
    Lynn