Chapter 11 Questions

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Stefania Anastasopoulou, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Hi everyone.

Below you will find some questions about the 11th chapter and their past papers.

1. Could you please explain to me how i can find a way to easily adjust the rate interval of population (e.g. age nearest birthday) to the deaths' one (e.g. age last birthday)?

2.From what i have understood, the population should always be evaluated as at 01.01. This means that when the evaluation is done for example on 01.04 then we have to make an adjustment in order to express the population as at 01.01. Which would be such adjustment? (example Q4 / September 2015)

3. Why is the curtate lifetime considered as age last birthday? This was Q5 / April 2013 (I)

4. I can't understand the answer in Q3 September 2014 for Company C

5. I can't understand Q6 (ii) answer April 2014

6. April 2008 i can't understand the solution of Q5

7. September 2008 i can't understand Q6 i-a

Thank you in advance.

2. September 2014 Q3
    Firstly, we are to convert age next birthday to age last birthday, hence we'll see the data for age X+1 ,ie. Age 56
    Now since the data is given at year end, we are assuming that data as on 31 December this year is equal to 1jan next year.

Hence, population as on 1 Jan 2012 and 1 Jan 2013 after age adjustments are 5950 and 5980 respectively.

So, central exposure is average of these, 5965

3. September 2015 Q4
    We are using simple interpolation to find out the data as on 1 Jan

4. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

1. Start with the rate interval for the deaths. You suggest age x last birthday for this. The exact age of those aged x last birthday lies in the range (x,x+1). To convert this to age nearest birthday, note that those at the bottom end of this range will be aged x nearest, and those at the top end of this range will be aged x+1 nearest. Assuming birthdays are spread out over the year, we say that exactly 0.5 of those in the age range (x,x+1) will be aged x nearest birthday, and 0.5 will be aged x+1 nearest birthday.

2. The population doesn't always need to be evaluated at 1/1 each year. You need the populations (at least) at the start and end of the investigation period (though this is often from 1/1 one year to 1/1 in a later year). As Aditya says, the population on 1/1 is found by linear interpolation.

3. Curtate lifetime in years = Age last birthday. Curtate just means integer part. So, if your exact age today is 24 and 111 days, then your curtate lifetime in years is 24, which is your age last birthday.

For your other questions, you'll need to be a lot more specific about your problems for someone to be able to help you. What solutions are you looking at? What steps don't you understand? It might help to choose just one question to focus on first.