Chapter 10: Vega

Discussion in 'CT8' started by jensen, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jensen

jensen Member

"For the underlying asset, S_t, V=0"

Is this because we assume the underlying asset S_t is independent of volatility, sigma?

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Vega

Hi Jensen,

When the share price changes more dramatically than it has done in the past, it would be recorded in sigma increasing - ie, the underlying volatility of the asset has increased. Or is it that the underlying volatility has increased and then the share price changed? Chicken and egg situation? The truth is that they happen at the same time, by definition of sigma.

So, if sigma changes, this means that the propensity of the share to move a lot in the future has increased but this doesn't mean that its current price should change. Hence Vega = 0 for a share.

Good luck!
    John

3. jensen

jensen Member

Thanks John

4. Kolonel

Kolonel Member

Early...

Was that really posted at 3:17 in the morning?

5. jensen

jensen Member

u think that hardworking? hehehe

must be the timezone thing; i'm in the GMT+8 zone

6. jensen

jensen Member

sorry, i dont understand. did u mean ∂ˆ2f/∂fˆ2 ? But isnt V =∂f/∂sigma? Why are we looking at St?

7. jensen

jensen Member

I have been reading what John said, and it got me to think if there is similar argument if say i asked, for a share, what is its:

a) rho
    b) lambda
    c) theta

My initial guess is they're all zero, but I wasn't sure of the lambda. What do you think?

8. jensen

jensen Member

geez, u got me a bit lost there. Now i dont know if the a) b) and c) i asked are real quantities or estimates.

Share prices do change with time, or is it time that changes the share prices? (i feel ridiculous)

If r increases, I would just put it in the bank and not in the stock market, so I agree with you with.

I dont know much how stocks work so I'm gonna give the dividend one to you.

Cheers!