1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chap17- Margins on the assumptions

Discussion in 'SP2' started by deepansh, Feb 13, 2019.

1. deepansh

deepansh Member

Hi all,

It is mentioned in the CMP that when a formula model is used to price a contract, we can't adjust the risk through the risk element of the risk discount rate.

I don't get this.
    My understanding is we can adjust for the risk by increasing the risk discount rate and use that to calculate EPV of benefits, expenses and premiums.

Can anyone please help?

Regards,
    Deepansh

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Deepansh

If we're using a formula approach (ie an equation of value along the lines EPV(premiums) = EPV(benefits) + EPV(expenses)) then increasing the interest rate at which its evaluated will reduce the premium calculated. Essentially, we're assuming we'll earn a higher rate of return on our assets.

Of course this is the opposite effect to what we want a risk adjustment to achieve, which is why the suggested approach with a formula is the application of margins to other assumptions.

Best wishes
    Lynn

3. deepansh

deepansh Member

Thank you Lynn! I understand.

Just to confirm my understanding, under the cashflow approach, we can use a higher risk discount rate as we will be targetting a particular profit criterion (say NPV of X), so if we are increasing the risk discount rate our PV of cashflows will fall but to get the profit criterion we need to increase the premiums.

Is my understanding correct?

Regards,
    Deepansh

Lynn Birchall likes this.
  4. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, sounds good to me!

5. deepansh

deepansh Member

Thank you Lynn for your prompt response!