Ch 20 page 9 - Mortality rates for judges vs divers

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Carmen, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Carmen

Carmen Keen member

Hi,
    I would like to ask with regards of the question below:
    "Suggest how the mortality rates for judges and divers might compare."

My initial thought was that being a diver would be more dangerous than being a judge, hence the mortality rate for divers would be relatively higher.

While I do agree with the sample solution stating that judges have higher average age, and hence have higher mortality rates, I would like to ask:
    1. Would I still receive marks for stating my initial thoughts as the answer? i.e. divers being a more dangerous job, which increases mortality rates.
    2. Does the sample solution mean that usually divers change job at earlier ages or it may not be practical to have old divers (at least, it won't be as relative high proportion compared to judges, I think)? In which case, the proportion of divers lean towards younger ages whereas there could be judges within the higher age group so from this view, judges would have higher mortality rates compared to divers?

Apologies if my second point sounded long-winded, wanted to make sure I understand the thought process on the sample solution.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. James Nunn

James Nunn ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Carmen

Regarding your first question, the command word for the question is "Suggest". As per the IFoA's definition, "suggest" means to: "Communicate a range of solutions, actions, or reasons without justification. (This is normally used in a situation where there is insufficient information provided to form a definitive recommendation or proposal....)". Given this, I think this sort of question in an exam is likely to allow you to get marks for suggesting either that the judges' mortality rates are higher or the divers mortality rates are higher.....or both depending on the marks available. Note that the solution acknowledges your point (diving being more dangerous) even though it says judges have higher mortality all things considered.

Regarding your second question, I agree with your understanding. Divers need to be fitter and so probably move to more sedentary jobs as they get older. On the other hand, judges don't get to be judges until they have significant legal experience and don't need to be fit to the same degree as divers, which means they need to be older to have got this experience. As you say, this then means that judges are older than divers on average.

Hopefully this makes sense.

3. Carmen

Carmen Keen member

Hi James,
    Thanks for clarifying for both of my questions! I'm clear with your explanation.

James Nunn likes this.