Ch 12 Q 12.17

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Yiwen, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Yiwen

Yiwen Member

Hi all, I have a question regarding to Chapter 12, Question 12.17. The question is like this:
    "To provide her with her retirement, a woman has decided to pay 5% of her annual salary, currently 30,000 p.a., into a special saving account at the start of each of the next 15 years. If the fund is expected to have 8% interest each year, her salary expected to increase 6% each year, calculate the approximate amount of the fund at the end of 15 years."

The solution treats 6% as "inflation", 8% as "money rate of interest", and works out the "real interest rate", which is approximately 2%. I don't understand is that why we need to use this 2% to find present value first, then accumulate to 15 years later using 8% interest rate. In another word, why we use different interest rate to do present value and future value?

2. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

You can solve it by usual method i.e. PV by making a GP series and then AV by accumulating @8% pa. It will give the exact answer.
    But the qus. asks for approximate answer , so they have used approximate rate (see the pic below).

Attached Files:

3. Yiwen

Yiwen Member

Thanks Baharti! I've got the same result as you, but I'm still a bit confused. Why we use 2% (or 1.88% exact) to find PV first, then use 8% to accumulate value in 15 years time? My first approach is to use 2% to find future value directly, and obviously it is not the right way to do it. I'm confused about why...

4. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

Because we have already considered the effect of growth of 6% in PV. So, we can just find AV using 8%. What I think if you accumulate it using 2% after finding the PV @2%, it would mean that you are cancelling the effect of growth we have used in PV i.e. you are doing (1.08/1.06)^15. It's not correct.
    And if you want to find AV directly then we don't have that approximate method to use in this case. (See the eq. in pic below)

Since , now it is not in the form of 1.08ⁿ/1.06ⁿ.

Attached Files:

John Lee likes this.
  5. Yiwen

Yiwen Member

Thank you, this really helps! To me the method of "2% find PV then 8% find AV" is more like a simplified version of this first principle equation you wrote. After finding the sum of this geometric sequence, the whole equation reduced down to "a due(15)@1.88% multiply by 1.08^15", and this makes sense to me. Cheers!

Bharti Singla likes this.