CERA feedback

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Simon James, May 11, 2016.

1. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The CERA Global Association is reviewing the progress of the qualification within the UK and is interested in any feedback that IFoA members have on it, eg those who are studying for it or who have already gained the qualification.

In particular, it would be useful to understand the extent to which you have found it useful for your work or career progression.

If you have any feedback, please reply to this thread and/or email ST9@bpp.com and we will pass your comments on to the IFoA.

2. bystander

bystander Member

I'm looking at transferring in to risk but rather than doing CERA I'm looking at what Institute of Risk Management offer and actually have already done a two day course with them. CERA to me looks far too theoretical

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi Bystander, can you link to the courses that you've done? Why not CERA? Isn't Institute of Risk Management not linked with CERA? Do you get any formal qualification from the IRM?

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

To me it seems that CERA title is not valued in the actuarial profession at companies where actuaries work. Perhaps this might change in the new regime as SII requires a risk management function which may attract CERA qualified actuaries into the role. It seems that a lot of students don't want to sit ST9 because it is more work or seems more difficult than another ST they may choose....I'd say that the volume of the text and material that you need to read through is too large in comparison to other STs. Why not make ST9 and SA subject? The questions for ST9 have been similar to SA questions in a sense of being quite practical and high level, unlike other STs.

5. bystander

bystander Member

I don't want to do CERA for a couple of reasons. A) I might want to work on risk not for an insurance company and if so, the actuary title can put people off B) I had a horrible time qualifying and don't want to put myself in that position again! I've been qualified since before st9 was invented.
    So as a taster I did a two day course in fundamentals of risk management in Manchester. Usually they are held in London. Yes you can do exams with IRM. See IRM.org.uk. I like mixing with wider professionals too. But for many CERA is an excellent qualification to get. Just not for me I don't think.