Career Confusion

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Deleted member 9301, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

I'm a student in a Dual Degree 5 year Bachelor of Science-Master of Science Programme at a reputed central government institute in India(IISER Mohali), majoring in Biology(Yes, my bad! I know).
    I have cleared 6 CT exams(1,3,4,5,6,7) and plan to clear CT2 & CT8 this year.
    I'm currently in my 4th year and am now facing three major decisions I have to make.

1.) Summer Internship - Let us for the time being assume that I can apply wherever I want to within India. I'd prefer to travel abroad, but that's unlikely. Given that, I am not sure what field I should go for? Life Insurance or General Insurance? Private Sector or Public Sector? Help here would be very useful.

2.) 5th Year Thesis - I have to work on a thesis project in my 5th year project. I plan do to something related to insurance/ risk management - but I'm not sure what.

3.) Another Masters - Ideally, I would like to move to Europe for another Masters' programme - not in Actuarial Sciences as I already have the exemptions but in a related field of risk management, insurance etc. Any university and programme recommendations would be most helpful

Thanks for taking the time out to help. Looking forward to hearing you guys.

2. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

Some thoughts (but I'm not from India & don't know biology).
    1. I would ask myself what do I want to do/where do I want to work when I graduate? Also where are the jobs/employment prospects? Maybe look at the jobs market now as if you had completed your 5th year.
    2. If you could combine the insurance background with the Biology that might be interesting? Something in the area of health, or disease/pandemic for example. You could also look at something in the Biostats area, but that might take you down a different path.
    Ideally something linked with your internship or sponsored in someway by an employer?
    3. No thoughts.
    hope this helps.

3. @tiger
    Thanks for your input.

For 1. I don't plan to work in India after I complete my 2nd Masters(and prefer to do that in Europe as well). Health insurance would probably be a good area to work in as you suggest. I guess I didn't lay out my real concern well enough - Is an actuarial job repetitive ?

2. I'll look into Catastrophe modelling and the sorts. Thanks for your help there.