Can we use a truncated approach to solve the question??

Discussion in 'CS1' started by DEV JAIN, May 30, 2023.

1. DEV JAIN

DEV JAIN Member

DEV JAINNew Member
    An Analyst concludes from an empirical study that the number of children, X, per
    family in a certain region has the following distribution:
    Number of children, x 0 1 2 3 More than 3
    Probability px = P[X = x] 0.05 0.42 0.4 0.1 0.03
    When asked for the expected number of children per family, the Analyst claims that
    an exact value cannot be calculated for the expectation, but that a lower limit can be
    provided.
    (i) Explain whether the Analyst is right. [3]
    (ii) Calculate a lower limit for E[X], the expected number of children per family
    in this region. [3]

can we calculate the lower limit of mean by making. A truncated data tilll 3 children and removing P(X>3) and dividing the remaining

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Truncating the distribution loses valuable information.

So keep the more than 3 but treat them as 3. This will give a lower limit.

3. DEV JAIN

DEV JAIN Member

Buy can my approach will be considered also , this was of CS1 a April 2023

4. John Lee

As I said - your approach loses valuable information - so you will lose marks.

5. DEV JAIN

DEV JAIN Member

Mean the question was of 3 marks , how much would i get , approx in your opinion???

6. DEV JAIN

DEV JAIN Member

and please can you clear my one doubt that there was a question in cs1 paper a of Bayes theorem of a coin of 7 marks in which I mistakenly calculated p(a|b1) wrong by taking 1-p = 0.85 instead of 0.65 , so my calculation got wrong , but correctly calculated P(A|b2) and the whole steps after , but due to calculation error my ans different , how much should I will get in the question , this was of 7 marks

7. DEV JAIN

DEV JAIN Member

and please can you clear my one doubt that there was a question in cs1 paper a of Bayes theorem of a coin of 7 marks in which I mistakenly calculated p(a|b1) wrong by taking 1-p = 0.85 instead of 0.65 , so my calculation got wrong , but correctly calculated P(A|b2) and the whole steps after , but due to calculation error my ans different , how much should I will get in the question , this was of 7 marks

8. John Lee

I'm not sure what benefit my opinion is, when it's the examiner's opinion that counts!

When you get your results back later this month, you can ask for a breakdown of your marks and will be able to clearly see what you lost for each question.