Can non-members sit both CM1 and CS1

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Euan Ritchie, Jul 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Euan Ritchie

Euan Ritchie Keen member

I am a non-member who took the CM1 exam in April. It was always my intention to take CS1 also as a non-member this September. However, now on the online booking form I can't seem to select CS1 (my current work has agreed to pay for both exams, but harder to make the case to pay for a student membership).

So I'm now wondering whether non-members are eligible to take only one, and not both? The website does say "either/or", but I had assumed that the or was inclusive, and nowhere on the website did it specify that taking one meant you could not take the other (not that I could see anyway).

I wouldn't care so much, and would just stump up the cash myself to become a student member, but I believe I've missed the deadline for becoming a member for exams in September. It's pretty annoying, if it was me who interpreted it wrong I know I'm not the only one to have thought this, and I'm basically trying to give IFOA money.

2. Euan Ritchie

Euan Ritchie Keen member

Just to add to this, on the non-members page it does say in bold:
    You can register and book IFoA CS1 and CM1 examinations as a non-member.
    Examinations, plural!

3. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Unfortunately it also says:
    "If you would like to take an exam of the IFoA as a non-member you can take either the CS1 or CM1 exam."
    And
    "Please note: If you have passed one of these examinations as a non-member, you will not be able to take any further IFoA examinations until you become a Student member."

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/non-members

So I think you are out of luck I'm afraid.

Euan Ritchie likes this.
  4. Euan Ritchie

Euan Ritchie Keen member

Ah. Missed that. Thanks for your response!

Darrell Chainey likes this.