Calling Actuarial Students in the Arts

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mia, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Mia

Mia Member

If you are an actuarial student in a band, theatre group or anything else that can be classified as "The Arts" we would like to hear from you for a possible future issue of The Actuary. For a spot of notoriety and free publicity for your art, email us now!

JEN&JEAN

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

Let's not make this another example of how boring actuaries are...I'd hate to read about someone's participation in a choir or their classical orchestra contributions... sadly though most "arty" actuaries I know are excited by these geeky / nerdy pastimes ;-)

3. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

The problem is, I was "arty" at university, and never did well in any exams.

Now I'm working, I seem to do virtually no extra-curricular activities at all, but I'm passing exams - and getting paid for passing them! (Even if you're not, Gareth).

And I've got so many ideas as to what I could do, if only I had the time.

4. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

What would/could you do if you had the time?

5. Louisa

Louisa Member

Gareth - very sorry to hear you find classical music 'geeky'. I find it a really fun and exciting thing to be involved in. Not to mention extremely sociable. Perhaps you should give it a go - you never know, you might discover hidden talents!

Jen&Jean - I'm sure you'll find a huge mix of arty people, and do agree you may prefer to concentrate on the more exotic/unusual.

Louisa

6. Pole Dancing.
    But for now I'll just stick with the geeky, boring, grey classical music.

7. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

I'd write more: the kind of odd comedy sketch I used to do. Goodness knows where I'd perform it.

Be in things on stage. I've only been in two things over the last 3 years, and one of those was a 48-hour show.

Join a local choir. I'm not sure the neighbours in this block of one-bedroom flats would appreciate my taking up the tuba or trombone again: but I got grade 8 tuba and grade 7 trombone at school.

Just something generally creative. Ah, late night moan (after a trustee refused to look through a box of papers for the pension scheme accounts we need - Him: "I pay you to administer the scheme". Me: "It's hard to administer documents we haven't got". Grrr.)

8. creative writing

Is anyone out there interested in creative writing.

I found this new forum that's looking for new members:

http://www.portrayl.com

It's based on the concept of people picking up ideas from each other's stories and taking them in new directions. You can contribute short chapters at a time, so it's easy to fit in a little bit of creativity in-between study.

I'll definately be giving this a try after the exams are over.

Sam

9. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

Portrayl - looks good - may give it a try soon...

I wonder how many actuaries / student actuaries there are out there with suppressed creative talents?

I know I temporarily set aside all things creative in the last 2 years of my actuarial science degree, and have postponed most creative things I want to do / get back into for now until I qualify. However, as I couldn't live without creativity completely, I took up the student page....

Creative things to do once I qualify:
    - do a creative writing class / course and write a book
    - get back into professional dance
    - get back into writing poetry
    - learn ballroom dancing
    - learn figure skating
    - learn to play the electric guitar

Hmmm....

10. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Wow have so much stuff I want to do when I'm finished (hopefully sooner rather than later!)

A dress desiging course (fancy myself as the next contestant on "Project Catwalk")
    Play the piano again (so that Mummy and Daddy's money on all those lessons 20 years ago isn't too badly spent)
    Go to the gym and get the perfect bod (for my newly designed fashion clothes of course)
    Take up several dance classes - modern dance, hip-hip, ballroom, tango etc etc
    Spend long evenings talking on the phone to my friends and my sister.
    Movie marathons
    Mid week late night drinking - like we used to do in college
    Weekend getaways

Don't think I'm going to have time for all of that! Will have to give up work too.

Louise

11. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

Delighted to say I've got a part in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire. Not the Marlon Brando part by any means... but I think I'll get a few laughs.

It'll be three weeks before when the exams start, and is way, way out in South London (zone 6, in fact :p - a whole 44 minutes from London Bridge).

12. Simon_P

Simon_P Member

Dude,

In a year or so I might try and start a big band when a couple of key members of university get down here (London)...

Would you be interested in playing the trombone? Trombonists are really tricky to get hold of!

13. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

Funny you should mention that Simon... I'm very busy with Streetcar and Crazy For You in Croydon at the moment, but see one of my previous threads.

14. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

"A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE" - seeks audience.

So, here's the major plug: we're well into rehearsals, and it's looking very good indeed. The woman playing Blanche is superb: come and see a trainee actuary do a southern US accent.

It's on at Caterham School, Thursday 30 August - Saturday 1 September at 7:45, with a Saturday matinee at 3pm. Tickets £10, with a free glass of wine!

Broaden your horizons! There are umpteen actuarial students coming on the Friday night (where umpteen = nine).

Message me, or contact Coda*blueyonder.co.uk for tickets.

Cheers.

15. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

And another plug...

Crazy For You, at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon (only 15 minutes from London Victoria or London Bridge to East Croydon station).

7 to 10 November, 7:45pm plus a Saturday matinee (and a Thursday matinee too, for anyone on an early study day).

It's looking great too!